First batch of the Sputnik V vaccine produced in Vietnam
Moscow, July 21, 2021 – The Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF, Russia’s sovereign wealth fund), and VABIOTECH, one of Vietnam’s leading pharmaceutical companies, announce the production of a test batch of the Russian Sputnik V vaccine against coronavirus.
The first validation samples taken from the produced batch will be shipped to the Gamaleya Center for the quality control. RDIF and VABIOTECH are actively implementing the technology transfer. Sputnik V was granted the approval by the Ministry of Health of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam on March 23, 2021.
To date, Sputnik V has been registered in 68 countries with a total population of over 3.7 billion people, which is nearly half of the global population. The data obtained by regulators of a number of countries during the vaccination of the population, including Argentina, Serbia, Bahrain, Hungary, Mexico, UAE, Philippines and others, demonstrates that Sputnik V is one of the safest and most effective vaccines against coronavirus.
Sputnik V is based on a proven and well-studied platform of human adenoviral vectors and uses two different vectors for the two shots in a course of vaccination, providing immunity with a longer duration than vaccines using the same delivery mechanism for both shots.
Kirill Dmitriev, CEO of the Russian Direct Investment Fund, commented:
“RDIF and VABIOTECH are actively cooperating in the technology transfer process to provide easier access to Sputnik V for population of Vietnam. As the pandemic is yet far from over and new, more dangerous variants of coronavirus are being detected in various regions of the world, RDIF is increasing capacities for production of Sputnik V to speed up the vaccination with one of the best vaccines in the world.”
Dr. Dat Tuan Do, President of VABIOTECH, said:
“It is our great pleasure to work with RDIF to bring Sputnik V to Vietnam to fight the pandemic. We hope the cooperation between RDIF and VABIOTECH will help provide quality and affordable COVID-19 vaccine to Vietnam and other Southeast Asian countries.”
Sputnik V has a number of key advantages:
- Efficacy of Sputnik V is 97.6% based on the analysis of data on the coronavirus infection rate among those in Russia vaccinated with both components of Sputnik V from December 5, 2020 to March 31, 2021;
- The Sputnik V vaccine is based on a proven and well-studied platform of human adenoviral vectors, which cause the common cold and have been around for thousands of years.
- Sputnik V has pioneered the use of heterogeneous boosting (two different vectors for the two shots in a course of vaccination among COVID vaccines). This approach provides for immunity with a longer duration than vaccines using the same delivery mechanism for both shots.
- The safety, efficacy and lack of negative long-term effects of adenoviral vaccines have been proven by more than 250 clinical studies over two decades.
- There are no strong allergies caused by Sputnik V.
- The storage temperature of Sputnik V at +2+8 C means it can be stored in a conventional refrigerator without any need to invest in additional cold-chain infrastructure.
- The price of Sputnik V is less than $10 per shot, making it affordable around the world.
Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) is Russia's sovereign wealth fund established in 2011 to make equity co-investments, primarily in Russia, alongside reputable international financial and strategic investors. RDIF acts as a catalyst for direct investment in the Russian economy. RDIF’s management company is based in Moscow. Currently, RDIF has experience of the successful joint implementation of more than 80 projects with foreign partners totaling more than RUB 2tn and covering 95% of the regions of the Russian Federation. RDIF portfolio companies employ more than 800,000 people and generate revenues which equate to more than 6% of Russia’s GDP. RDIF has established joint strategic partnerships with leading international co-investors from more than 18 countries that total more than $40 bn. Further information can be found at rdif.ru
VABIOTECH is one of the leading companies in Vietnam in manufacturing, trading, researching and developing a wide range of vaccines and biologicals for human use. Besides, VABIOTECH collaborates with other reputable manufacturers in the world to import and distribute other biological products such as: diagnostic kits (HBsAg, anti-HBs, anti-HCV, HIV), therapeutic products (Erythropoietin, Insulin, Albumin, Globulin) and other vaccines (Mumps, Rubella, Meningococcal Meningitis, Hib). Being the biggest vaccine manufacturer and supplier for the National Expanded Program on Immunization in Vietnam, VABIOTECH is proud of its well-trained scientists, GMP qualified manufacturing facilities, storage and distribution systems in compliance with WHO-GSP and GDP, respectively. VABIOTECH is ready to be one of the Sputnik V vaccine manufacturers to provide vaccine for Vietnam and other countries in the region to fight against the pandemic. Further information can be found at vabiotech.com.vn/
For additional information contact:
Russian Direct Investment Fund
Director for External Communications
Mobile: +7 915 312 76 65
Andrew Leach / Maria Shiryaevskaya
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7796 4133
Nguyen Lan Huong
Head of International Cooperation
Tel: + 84 24 39717710 ext 101
Mobile: + 84 904151950
Pham Duy Long
Mobile: +84 935889969