RDIF and Rostec partner to produce plasma-based coronavirus therapy
Moscow, June 10, 2020 - The Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), Russia’s sovereign wealth fund, announces a partnership with Nacimbio (part of the State Corporation Rostec) to carry out a joint project for the production of a drug for coronavirus therapy based on blood plasma.
One of Nacimbio’s enterprises has developed a universal technology for the production of human immunoglobulins for intravenous administration. The BioGam drug produced using this technology has successfully passed the first phase of clinical trials.
The partnership between RDIF and Nacimbio involves the production of an immunoglobulin preparation containing antibodies to the SARS CoV-2 coronavirus. It is produced using the plasma of donors who have gone through a coronavirus infection. In partnership with RDIF, Nacimbio has attracted investments for the purchase of equipment, clinical trials, and preparation of documents to register the final drug. The production of immunoglobulin containing antibodies against coronavirus will be organized according to the full technological cycle, subject to the availability of raw materials, at four branches of the biotech company Microgen, part of Nacimbio holding.
Kirill Dmitriev, CEO of the Russian Direct Investment Fund, said:
“RDIF is undertaking large-scale efforts to find the best solutions for the treatment of coronavirus infection. The fund is collaborating with leading Russian and foreign scientific and technology centers to produce a wide range of drugs and vaccines. The production of drugs using plasma from the blood of donors who have had coronavirus is one promising area of therapy that RDIF plans to develop in Russia together with Nacimbio. We hope that the Fund’s investments will help accelerate research, achieve positive results and begin full-scale production of the drug”.
Sergey Chemezov, CEO of State Corporation Rostec, noted:
“The entire global scientific community is now engaged in the search for solutions in the fight against coronavirus, and Russia’s specialists are playing an active role in this process. Soon we will be able to bring our own effective and safe drug to the domestic market. After it passes registration, we are ready to launch production at four sites at once - in Perm, Nizhny Novgorod, Tomsk and Ufa”.
Andrey Zagorskiy, CEO of Nacimbio, said:
“Microgen” satisfies over 25% of the Russian market's demand for albumin and immunoglobulins, and is also the country's largest producer of specific immunoglobulins for staphylococcus, tick-borne encephalitis, hepatitis B and tetanus. We are confident that cooperation with RDIF will create the synergistic effect that will allow the drug to quickly enter the Russian market”.
Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) is Russia's sovereign wealth fund established in 2011 to make equity co-investments, primarily in Russia, alongside reputable international financial and strategic investors. RDIF acts as a catalyst for direct investment in the Russian economy. RDIF’s management company is based in Moscow. Currently, RDIF has experience of the successful joint implementation of more than 80 projects with foreign partners totaling more than RUB1.8 tn and covering 95% of the regions of the Russian Federation. RDIF portfolio companies employ more than 800,000 people and generate revenues which equate to more than 6% of Russia’s GDP. RDIF has established joint strategic partnerships with leading international co-investors from more than 15 countries that total more than $40 bn.
RDIF takes active steps to counteract COVID-19:
- RDIF and partners have launched the production of the unique Russian-Japanese EMG diagnostic system, which generates results in 30 minutes with a very high accuracy in both stationary and unmatched portable mini-laboratories. The Japan Bank for International Cooperation has joined the project through the Russia-Japan Investment Fund;
- RDIF and the ChemRar Group have started the mass-scale production of Avifavir, which has proven effective against coronavirus in clinical trials has become the first in Russia and of the first special drugs in the world for coronavirus therapy;
- RDIF has launched a project to diagnose and detect pneumonia, including that caused by coronavirus, using CT scans combined with the Russian-UAE artificial intelligence (AI) technology developed jointly by Group 42 (G42), RDIF and Medscan Group;
- RDIF has provided support to the public in observing the lockdown restrictions and self-isolation regime, driving a several-fold increase in telemedicine consultations via the Doctis service, as well as in access and subscriptions to the ivi online media library, delivery of Elementaree meal kits and demand for products and services of other RDIF portfolio companies;;
- The Mother and Child Group, an RDIF's portfolio company, has repurposed its largest clinical hospital Lapino to treat patients with COVID-19 symptoms.
- RDIF was one of the initiators of the Alliance against coronavirus, which also includes the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RUIE), Yandex, Mail.ru Group and the Rossiya Segodnya international news agency. RDIF is actively involved in key initiatives and charity projects.
Further information can be found at www.rdif.ru
State Corporation Rostec is one of Russia’s largest industrial companies. It unites more than 800 scientific and industrial organizations in 60 regions. Key areas of activity are aircraft manufacturing, radio electronics, medical technologies, innovative materials, etc. The corporation's portfolio includes well-known brands such as AvtoVAZ, KAMAZ, UAC, Russian Helicopters, UEC, Uralvagonzavod, Schwabe, Kalashnikov Concern, and others. Rostec actively participates in the implementation of all 12 national projects. The company is a key provider of Smart City technology, it is engaged in digitalization of public administration, industry, social industries, and is developing plans for the development of 5G wireless technologies, industrial Internet of things, big data and blockchain systems. Rostec is a partner to the leading world manufacturers such as Boeing, Airbus, Daimler, Pirelli, Renault, etc. The products of the corporation are delivered to more than 100 countries. Almost a third of the company's revenue comes from the export of high-tech products. Further information can be found at https://rostec.ru/en/
National Immunobiological Company (Nacimbio) was established with the aim of creating a holding company (integrated structure) of State Corporation Rostec in development and production of immunobiological products. The holding was created to ensure the independence of the Russian Federation from imports in the healthcare and drug supply system. For the implementation of these tasks, Nacimbio was joined by “Microgen” Scientific and Production Association, FORT LLC and Synthesis OJSC. Further information can be found at: https://nacimbio.ru/en/
For additional information contact:
Russian Direct Investment Fund
Tel: +7 495 644 34 14, ext. 2395
Mobile: +7 916 110 31 41
Andrew Leach / Maria Shiryaevskaya
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7796 4133