RDIF CEO Kirill Dmitriev awarded the Order of the Star of Italy
Moscow, May 14, 2020 - The CEO of the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), Russia’s sovereign wealth fund, Kirill Dmitriev has been awarded the Order of the Star of Italy - the state award of the Italian Republic.
Kirill Dmitriev has received the Commander class Order of the Star of Italy- for special achievements in the development of friendly relations and cooperation between Italy and Russia. Order has five classes: Knight, Officer, Commander, Grand Officer and Knight Grand Cross.
The Order is presented by Sergio Mattarella, the President of Italy, following a proposal by the Ambassador of Italy in Moscow Pasquale Terracciano and a decision by the Council of the Order chaired by the Italian Minister of Foreign Affairs, Luigi Di Maio.
Kirill Dmitriev has received the Order for the significant contribution in the development of bilateral Russia-Italy investment cooperation. RDIF led by Kirill Dmitriev is contributing to the development of partnerships with leading Italian development institutions (Cassa Depositi e Prestiti and FSI), supporting the implementation of a number of significant joint projects in Russia, including in transport infrastructure (alongside ANAS), electric power industry (alongside Enel), livestock breeding (alongside Inalca) and food production (alongside Barilla).
Thanks to cooperation between RDIF and the Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation high-accuracy EMG test systems have been swiftly delivered to Italy (city of Bergamo). The test systems produced with the support from RDIF were used by the joint detachment of the Russian Ministry of Defence.
RDIF actively cooperates with Italy’s medical technology companies to find new solutions in the fight against coronavirus. Alongside Kedrion, one of the world’s leading producers of blood plasma products, and FSI investment fund RDIF is working on a project to launch treatment of coronavirus in Russia with drugs based on human blood plasma.
The official ceremony for the bestowal of the honor will be taking place at the Embassy of Italy in Moscow as soon as the measures for the containment of COVID-19 pandemics in the Russian Federation will be lifted.
Kirill Dmitriev, CEO of the Russian Direct Investment Fund, said:
“Friendship and mutual trust have always been the foundation of the relationship between Russia and Italy. This has become even more important during the period of difficulties which the two countries and the whole world have faced due to the coronavirus pandemic. It is a great honor to receive this high state award of the Italian Republic in this difficult time and I want to express my deep gratitude to the President and the Council of the Order. I am confident that we will successfully overcome the challenges and will be able to continue working on strengthening economic, investment, trade and business ties between Russia and Italy.
We already have a number of new promising joint projects at an advanced stage. In particular, RDIF, alongside Italy’s Kedrion, one of the world’s leading producers of blood plasma products, is working on a project to launch treatment of coronavirus in Russia with drugs based on human blood plasma. RDIF is developing this project jointly with FSI, an Italian investment fund”.
Pasquale Terracciano, Ambassador of Italy to the Russian Federation, said:
“I am pleased that the President of the Italian Republic, H.E. Sergio Mattarella, has recognized the great commitment of Kirill Dmitriev, one of the greatest contributors to the strengthening of bilateral economic relations between Italy and the Russian Federation, granting him, upon my proposal, this prestigious honor. The Order of the Start of Italy was indeed established to reward all those who have acquired particular merits in promoting friendship and collaboration between Italy and other countries.”
Kirill Dmitriev has previously received other Russian and foreign state awards:
- In 2017, by the decree of the President of the Russian Federation, Mr. Dmitriev was awarded the Order of Alexander Nevsky for his valuable contribution to international investment projects and the socio-economic development of Russia;
- In 2018, by the decree of the President of the French Republic, Emmanuel Macron, Mr. Dmitriev was awarded the title of Knight of the National Order of the Legion of Honor;
- In 2019, by the order of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Kirill Dmitriev received the highest award of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the King Abdulaziz Second-Class Order of Merit, in recognition of his contribution to strengthening cooperation between the Russian Federation and Saudi Arabia;
- In 2020, by the decree of Vladimir Putin, Mr. Dmitriev was awarded the Order of Honour for his valuable contribution to international investment projects and the socio-economic development of Russia.
Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) is Russia's sovereign wealth fund established in 2011 to make equity co-investments, primarily in Russia, alongside reputable international financial and strategic investors. RDIF acts as a catalyst for direct investment in the Russian economy. RDIF’s management company is based in Moscow. Currently, RDIF has experience of the successful joint implementation of more than 80 projects with foreign partners totaling more than RUB1.8 tn and covering 95% of the regions of the Russian Federation. RDIF portfolio companies employ more than 800,000 people and generate revenues which equate to more than 6% of Russia’s GDP. RDIF has established joint strategic partnerships with leading international co-investors from more than 15 countries that total more than $40 bn.
RDIF takes active steps to counteract COVID-19:
- RDIF and partners have launched the production of the unique Russian-Japanese EMG diagnostic system, which generates results in 30 minutes with an accuracy of more than 99.9% in both stationary and unmatched portable mini-laboratories. The Japan Bank for International Cooperation has joined the project through the Russia-Japan Investment Fund. Home-testing for coronavirus has been launched through the partnership with Yandex;
- RDIF and the ChemRar Group have produced the first batch of Favipiravir, a drug that has proven effective in the treatment of infected patients in China and in clinical trials in Russia. Preparations are currently underway for the industrial production of the drug;
- RDIF has launched a project to diagnose and detect pneumonia, including that caused by coronavirus, using CT scans combined with the Russian-UAE artificial intelligence (AI) technology developed jointly by Group 42 (G42), RDIF and Medscan Group;
- RDIF has provided support to the public in observing the lockdown restrictions and self-isolation regime, driving a several-fold increase in telemedicine consultations via the Doctis service, as well as in access and subscriptions to the ivi online media library, delivery of Elementaree meal kits and demand for products and services of other RDIF portfolio companies;
- RDIF was one of the initiators of the Alliance against coronavirus, which also includes the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RUIE), Yandex, Mail.ru Group and the Rossiya Segodnya international news agency. RDIF is actively involved in key initiatives and charity projects.
Further information can be found at www.rdif.ru
For additional information contact:
Russian Direct Investment Fund
Tel: +7 495 644 34 14, ext. 2395
Mobile: +7 916 110 31 41
Andrew Leach / Maria Shiryaevskaya
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7796 4133